Job Element: smallest practical division of work
Job Task: discrete unit of work done by an individual
Job Duty: individual's key work outcomes
Position: most elemental unit of work in organization
Job: closely related positions, independent of context
Job Family: grouping of jobs on related factor
Occupation: work with common content (DOT)
Career: a pathway within a specific industry or profession
Verizon | Make progress every day
Job Specifications (KSAO's necessary to do the job)
- Job Title
- Job Duties and Tasks
Duty 1 - Tasks
Duty 2 - Tasks
- Physical Work Conditions - description of work location and physical
strength, size requirements (p. 191)
- Interpersonal Interaction - who do you interact with? Customers?
Supervisors? what percent of the time? (p. 191)
- Structural Job Characteristics - how the job fits into the
company, criticality, routine vs challenging work, pace, scheduling (p. 191)
- Job Conditions - salary, benefits, hours, breaks, vacation other requirements
- Use to write application form, selection
- If it is in the job description, it needs to be
in the job specification.
- If it is in the job specification, it needs to be
in the job description.
Group Project, In Class
1. Perform a job analysis of the job of one of your group members.
Use the individual interview method.
2. Write up a job description and job specification for that job.