Principles of Workspace Design
1. Importance (Safety): most important thing is the easiest to get at. Usually has to do with safety.
2. Frequency of Use: The most frequently used things should be easiest to get at.
3. Function: Things with similar function are placed together
4. Link Analysis: Things that are frequently used together are placed next to each other.
5. Sequence of Use: If the task is done in a sequence, the workspace should be laid out sequentially.
6. Lysandra's principle: Lay out the equipment so people are not bumping into each other.
Group Project: Apply these
six principles to the design of a Kitchen
1. Verbal Presentation:
a. Document Camera or Powerpoint or other computer presentation.
b. 2 - 3 minutes
2. Written Proposal to homeowner explaining how the design fits the five criteria.
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.